VHS Course Catalog
The purpose of this course is to provide a study of the short story form and to serve as an outlet for student writers to engage in a dialogue about their work in a safe environment. By reading various short stories in a variety of literary genres, the student will develop a basic understanding of the short story form. Using this knowledge, the student will craft two short stories. Students will also visit sites that cater to short story publishing, editing and reviewing, as well as sites that provide creative resources for short story writing.
*This course may be appropriate for Gifted and Talented middle school students that meet all course prerequisites.*
The objectives of the course are:
- To develop an understanding of the short story form.
- To develop an understanding of various literary genres.
- To develop creative writing skills.
- To develop basic writing techniques such as brainstorming, drafting, and revision.
- To develop peer editing skills.
- To use technological resources such as the Internet to research information.
- To write an original short story.
- Discipline: Language Arts
- Level: Honors
- Grade: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
- Program: Gifted and Talented Middle School, High School
- When Offered: Repeated Semester
- Duration: 15 weeks
- NIM Course: No
- Media Kit Shipped: Yes
- Media Kit Purchase: Yes
- Course Code: shstory2
- MA NCES Code: 01104
Certified by NCAA for initial-eligibility (VHS School Code: 221356)
Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools
Northwest Accreditation Commission